Excerpt from: Healthy Families BC Blog Jan 23 2019
(Original Blog: https://www.healthyfamiliesbc.ca/home/articles/canadas-new-food-guide)
Have you seen Canada’s new Food Guide released by Health Canada this week as part of their healthy eating strategy? The Food Guide is designed to help you choose foods that improve your health, meet your nutrient needs and reduce your risk of nutrition-related chronic diseases and conditions. The key messages align with the approach of the Family Healthy Living program.
Make it a habit to eat a variety of healthy foods each day
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, whole grain foods and protein foods. Choose protein foods that come from plants more often
- Limit highly processed foods. If you choose these foods, eat them less often and in small amounts
- Make water your drink of choice
- Use food labels
- Be aware that food marketing can influence your choices
Healthy eating is more than the foods you eat. It is also about where, when, why and how you eat
- Be mindful of your eating habits
- Cook more often
- Enjoy your food
- Eat meals with others
The Canada’s Food Guide is now mobile-friendly and provides accessible, relevant and useful healthy eating information. If you have questions about Canada’s new Food Guide or any other food and nutrition topic, contact a HealthLink BC registered dietitian at 8-1-1 or by email at Email a HealthLink BC Dietitian.