Introducing a family-based, ‘made in BC’ childhood healthy weights early intervention program
Generation Health is a FREE, fun, interactive program for families whose children are between ages 8 to 12 and are above the 85th percentile BMI-for-age. The program uses a lifestyle behaviour approach for promoting healthy weights in children and youth.
Topics covered include:
- Introduction to healthy eating and active living
- Setting goals and using effective rewards
- Healthy body image and self-esteem, managing stress and active living for everybody
- Creating positive family mealtimes and physical activity experiences
- Family, food, and getting active outdoors
- Positive parenting
- Cooking and playing together
This 10-week program includes 10 two-hour weekly sessions and 10 weekly online e-sessions through the Family Portal. The Family Portal e-sessions provide families with additional information and activities for the week.
Generation Health is a community-based program and aligns with existing childhood healthy weights programs e.g., Shapedown BC and the HealthLinkBC Eating and Activity Program for Kids.